School is open! You’ve gone back-to-school shopping and your child has new sneakers, a trendy backpack and lots of sharpened pencils.
What about sporting equipment? Is your child ready with the right mouth guard?
Whether your young athlete enjoys football or hockey, where mouth guards are required, or other sports with incidental contact like soccer, basketball, volleyball, baseball or wrestling, wearing a well-fitting mouthguard is a smart decision.
These soft plastic or laminate devices can help prevent oral injuries to the teeth, tongue, mouth, cheeks and jaw. More than one-third of all dental injuries are sports-related, according to the American Dental Association. Injuries can be serious and include chipped or broken teeth, root damage, fractured crowns, cheek and lip injuries and fractured jaws.
Wearing a properly-fitting mouth guard during sports can even reduce the risk of concussion. Mouth guards help absorb shock, stabilize the neck and head and limit the movement caused by a blow to the jaw.
Mouth Guards Do’s and Don’ts
- Do invest in custom-fitted mouth guards for the above sports as well as field hockey, gymnastics, lacrosse, martial arts, rugby, shot putting, skateboarding, skiing, surfing and weightlifting.
- Do choose a mouth guard that fits well and is comfortable, resilient, easily cleaned and tear-resistant.
- Do wear your mouth guard for all practices, games and competitions.
- Do clean your mouth guard with soap and water, toothpaste or non-alcohol-based cleaner after every use.
- Do replace your mouth guard every season.
- Don’t select a mouth guard that restricts breathing or speech
- Don’t trim your mouth guard to avoid putting your teeth at risk.
- Don’t forget that damaged teeth don’t grow back! Protect your smile with the right mouth guard.
Do let us help! Please consult with us on the safest and most comfortable mouth guard for your child.
Let Us Know If You Have Questions on Any Aspect of Oral Health Care
Dr. Lorraine Burio of Candlewood Dental Care has been treating and educating patients for over twenty-five years. Our office serves the New Fairfield, New Milford, Danbury, and Sherman areas of CT and Pawling, Patterson and Putnam Lake of New York. You can call us at 203-746-1200 or make an appointment here.