Everybody wants a bright smile. Everywhere you go, you can see products for at-home whitening; oral rinses, strips, toothpastes etc., but there is still a benefit to leaving the bleaching to professionals. Here’s why:
- Custom Fit – Whitening trays and strips that are sold are not a custom fit for each person. This can lead to gum irritation due to the chemicals being in contact with your gums for too long.
- Over Bleaching – When whitening at home, a lot of the products gradually turn your smile into brighter shades of white. Because of the gradual change, it is difficult to know when you should stop. Over-use of whitening products can harm your teeth and also turn your teeth from white to a grayish hue. Damage that is done can be hard to reverse.
- Sensitivity – Using a toothpaste or gel strip to whiten can lead to your teeth becoming more sensitive as they are repeatedly exposed to bleach over a period of many days. Strips can take from 10-20 days while toothpaste and oral rinses can continually be used. It’s good to take a break and use non-whitening toothpastes and rinses so that you don’t end up with excess sensitivity in your teeth.
- Speed – Going to a dentist to whiten your teeth takes a much shorter amount of time. Instead of wasting hours at home trying to perfect your smile with possible trial and error, a dentist can pinpoint exactly what shade you’re looking for and give you the results immediately.
- Expertise – Whitening teeth can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing. For people with sensitive teeth, sensitive gums, untreated tooth decay, or any other teeth related ailments, bleaching at home could be a painful and costly mistake. Your dentist can whiten your teeth as safely as possible because they know your teeth better than you do.
For the most part, whitening your teeth at the dentist is the best and safest bet. Unless you have very strong and healthy teeth that are exactly the size of the whitening trays or strips, you will end up with a much better experience with a professional. Dr. Lorraine Burio of Candlewood Dental Care in New Fairfield, CT has been expertly whitening teeth and brightening many smiles for over 25 years. If you have any questions or dental issues, please call 203-746-1200 or make an appointment here.