With so much information out there, it’s easy to accidentally follow or believe false facts and information. Here are a few dental myths you can read about to correct any misguided beliefs!
- True or False: As you get older, all of your teeth will eventually fall out.
False! Your teeth are not doomed to fall out as you age. As a matter of fact, if you take good care of your teeth throughout your life, your pearly whites will age gracefully along with you.
- True or False: No pain means my mouth is completely healthy.
False! Just because you don’t feel any pain, toothaches, soreness, etc., it doesn’t mean that your mouth is free of infection or disease (or even tooth decay). This is why it’s important to always go to your dentist for regular checkups.
- True or False: If you have lingering bad breath, you need to get checked out.
True! It may be nothing, but there’s no harm in getting checked out for bad breath you can’t get rid of. If it’s really bad, it may be a sign of gum disease or an infection.
- True or False: If you’re an adult and you don’t eat sweets, you will never get a cavity.
False! Unfortunately, natural factors of aging can cause your mouth to become more dry and unable to protect itself from bacteria. You need to watch out for cavities no matter your age.
- True or False: You can gauge your overall health by looking at your dental health.
True! If your teeth and gums are very healthy, there is a very good chance that the rest of your body is healthy as well. A lot of ailments including heart disease and stroke can leave signs in the mouth.
If you have any questions or have any dental needs, visit Candlewood Dental Care. Dr. Lorraine Burio has been treating and educating patients for over twenty-five years. Our offices are located in New Fairfield, New Milford, Danbury, and Sherman areas of CT and Pawling, Patterson and Putnam Lake of New York. You can call us at 203-746-1200 or make an appointment here.