When we bite down on something hard, we know immediately what the source of our tooth pain is. However, there are times when it seems like tooth pain just kicks in randomly. Here are some of the top reasons for why our teeth ache randomly.
- Tooth Decay: This is the number one reason for “random” tooth pain. It’s not actually very random since the damage is being done progressively over time. You may not notice the decay until it is bad enough to expose a nerve or cause sensitivity in your teeth.
- Gum Infection: If you let your dental hygiene slide for a little bit, you may not notice that your gums are infected or swollen. If you notice general tooth ache all over, check with your dentist to make sure that you don’t have an infection. Infections that reach your bloodstream can become very harmful very quickly.
- Repetitive Actions: If you’re a big gum chewer or unknowingly grind your teeth at night, your sore jaw may be radiating pain to other parts of your mouth. Any repetitive motion over time tends to break down your teeth faster so get treatment as fast as possible to stop tooth grinding and try breathmints or something easier on your jaw and teeth.
- Cracked or Damaged Filling: Your filling may look like it’s perfectly fine on the outside, but it may have a crack or decay underneath. Always get your fillings periodically checked by your dentist to ensure that your teeth stay healthy and damage free. If you regularly see your dentist, you don’t have to worry since your dentist will always check to make sure your mouth is in great shape.
- Abscessed Tooth: Your tooth may be so decayed that an infection finds its way to the root of your tooth or in the space between the gum and the tooth. Infections can happen suddenly and out of the blue leading to random tooth pain.
Dr. Lorraine Burio of Candlewood Dental Care has been treating and educating patients for over twenty-five years. If you’re in the New Fairfield, CT area, Dr. Burio can help treat all of your dental issues and make sure your teeth are healthy and clean! Call us at 203-746-1200 or make an appointment here!