The majority of the population has dry mouth either frequently or at least once in a while. The most common reason behind dry mouth is dehydration, however there are a few other things that can cause dry mouth. Having dry mouth is bad for your teeth because your mouth needs to be full of saliva in order to protect itself. Here are a few ways to try and get rid of dry mouth so that your mouth can feel healthy again.
- Change Your Mouthwash – Although mouthwashes that contain alcohol have an extra kick that leave your mouth feeling extra clean, it may be the reason why your mouth is dry. Change to a more mild mouthwash that is alcohol free or use the mouthwash with alcohol sparingly.
- Take Small Sips of Water – Even if you drink water, if you drink it too fast, it may not actually be hydrating your body properly. In order for your body to absorb the water you are drinking, you need to take small and frequent sips.
- Use a Humidifier – A lot of people don’t realize that a lot of moisture from your body can be lost while you sleep. (You may notice that sometimes you wake up and your mouth is particularly parched.) A humidifier can help you retain more moisture while you sleep and keep your salivary glands from drying out too much.
- Don’t Smoke – Smoking is not just harmful because it dries out your mouth. All of the substances and chemicals in cigarettes destroy your mouth first because it’s the first point of contact. Smoking increases your risk of many serious ailments including gum disease, tooth decay and oral cancer.
- Cut Back on Coffee – (And any beverages with high caffeine) Caffeine tends to dry out your mouth and coffee also has the unfortunate effect of staining your teeth. If you drink coffee, make sure to compensate by drinking extra water in between sips or after you are finished.
If you still have dry mouth issues, visit Candlewood Dental Care in New Fairfield, CT. Dr. Lorraine Burio has been treating patients for over twenty-five years and can help you find a treatment for your dry mouth or other dental problem. You can call our office at 203-746-1200.