You probably know that snoring can be a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea. But did you know that there are many other symptoms that can point to this potentially serious sleep disorder?
Sleep apnea occurs when the tongue is sucked against the back of the throat while sleeping, blocking the upper airway. When the air flow stops and the brain’s oxygen level is reduced, the sleeper awakens enough to clear the throat and take a gasping breath. This process produces disrupted sleep and low blood oxygen levels.
Besides snoring and obstructed breathing, here are a few surprising signs that may point to sleep apnea:
- Daytime sleepiness. When your sleep is disrupted, you may be sleepy and lethargic during daytime activities – even while driving.
- Waking up unrefreshed. Waking up more tired than the night before can lead to memory and concentration problems as well as mood swings and personality changes.
- Heartburn/GERD at night or in the morning. GERD can be damaging to your esophagus and teeth.
- Morning headache. Because of an inadequate night’s sleep, 50% of those with sleep apnea experience morning headaches.
- Sexual dysfunction. Fatigue due to obstructive sleep can cause a lack of sexual desire and, in men, erectile dysfunction.
- Dry mouth. With your mouth open while sleeping, your saliva dries up and you may have a scratchy throat and dry and cracked lips.
If your physician diagnoses sleep apnea, a machine called a c-pap can help by maintaining air flow while you sleep. However, because some patients are unable to tolerate a c-pap, we offer an effective alternative.
At Candlewood Dental Care, we are specially trained in treating obstructive sleep apnea. We recommend Mandibular advancement devices to treat mild cases of sleep apnea as well as for those who can’t tolerate a c-pap. Contact us today to learn more and improve the quality of your life with a good night’s sleep!
Don’t Suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnea – We Can help!
Dr. Lorraine Burio of Candlewood Dental Care has been treating and educating patients for over twenty-five years. Our office serves the New Fairfield, New Milford, Danbury, and Sherman areas of CT and Pawling, Patterson and Putnam Lake of New York. You can call us at 203-746-1200.