Good oral health means creating a healthy environment in your mouth. You may be brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing daily. But that’s just part of the picture.
Here are 7 more essentials to a healthy mouth:
- Come in for a dental cleaning and checkup twice a year. We’ll catch problems like tooth decay and gum disease and even cancer early when they are most treatable.
- Use the right toothbrush and brushing technique. Choose a soft-bristled brush and replace it every 3 months. When brushing, hold the brush at a 45-degree angle toward the gumline and brush gently in circular motions. It’s possible to damage your teeth and gumline if you brush too hard.
- Floss your teeth correctly. Improper flossing can also damage teeth and the gumline. Grab a foot-long piece of floss and wrap the ends around your fingers. Move the floss up and down against the tooth’s surface – never saw back and forth directly into the gums.
- Brush your tongue. Do this every day to remove food particles and cut down on plaque-causing bacteria.
- Cut down on sugar. Bacteria and acids love sugar in your mouth and work together to form damaging plaque. Reduce your consumption of sugary drinks and foods and try to brush your teeth after every meal and snack.
- Eliminate soda. Carbonated beverages, even those that are sugar-free, contain phosphoric and citric acids that can damage the surfaces of your teeth. Stay hydrated with plenty of water.
- Stop smoking. Tar and nicotine in cigarettes stain your teeth and also create a favorable environment for plaque and bacteria. These can degrade the bone supporting the teeth and harm tissue too, leading to tooth loss and oral cancer.
Let Us Know If You Have Questions on Any Aspect of Oral Health Care
Dr. Lorraine Burio of Candlewood Dental Care has been treating and educating patients for over twenty-five years. Our office serves the New Fairfield, New Milford, Danbury, and Sherman areas of CT and Pawling, Patterson and Putnam Lake of New York. You can call us at 203-746-1200 or make an appointment here.